Friday, February 28, 2014

It's always darkest before the dawn...

Equestria Daily has previewed a card from the new set today, as well as the beta multiplayer rules.  I can't say I'm much of a fan of the multiplayer rules, but we'll have to see what happens when I can a chance to try them out.  What I can do is give some commentary on the new card, and for those who want to be completely surprised with the new set, I've left it below the break.  Keep in mind that this card review is probably not going to be accurate when the set is released.  As I said before, all cards are as powerful as their environment allows.

It was always a little awkward that Luna didn't get to see the light of day... wait a minute... that it never dawned on Enterplay to include her... dangit!  Ok, maybe it's not so strange.  After all, the series did start with the conflict between Celestia and Nightmare Moon.   I've certainly gotten plenty of play out of my NM's.  For the sake of this review, let's assume this card made it into the base set.  Yeah, it definitely commands a very strong presence.  It's the only card I know that actually breaks the card template.  3 power for 4 cost is standard, but at the 4 purple requirement, this is so far underwhelming compared to Twilight Sparkle, Ursa Vanquisher.  Her ability to frighten any Friend at a problem makes her comparable to Pinkie Responsibility Pie.  Not a terrible package by any means.  You get reasonable power and kinda-sorta removal all together.  Without a doubt, Luna would certainly find herself in the same deck as Lady Justice, but then again, that's not a very high bar, is it?  Honestly, I feel Luna is probably best used as a replacement for Pinkie Responsibility Pie when you're not running pink, but you'd also have to be running an awful lot of purple.  It really would have to be your main color.  If pink is your secondary color, these two together wouldn't be terrible. 
There's a hidden benefit here, as well.  At the moment, frightened cards are just cards, but Enterplay has indicated they will be more than that with the comprehensive rules.  This means they very likely will be counted as characters at that point.  Spring Forward and Rare Find will be very pleased, indeed.  Frightening is also more effective than moving.  Blue and yellow both have movement abilities, but only blue has any readying effects.  Unless you're running with white's ability to paralyze movement, this will probably make it even harder for your opponent to recover. 
However, there is a significant problem here.  Luna must frighten a Friend when she arrives.  This isn't always convenient.  She's most useful mid-game, when both players are vying for the edge in point advantage before the big rush occurs in the endgame.  If a double problem faceoff just happened, you won't have anyone to target but yourself, and yes, she IS a Friend card when her ability resolves, so if you lack any other viable targets, she would frighten herself.  To be perfectly honest, I'd only consider adding her if the comprehensive rules classify frightened characters as characters so I can take advantage of that fact.  Otherwise, I'm probably better off playing Back Where you Began.  More power for flips, about as effective, and certainly much cheaper.


Certainly not a terrible card.  She's very likely to be ultra-rare I think a promo, I dunno, and we do have worse.  The flavor aspect is certainly great, and I would love to have one shining in my binder.  I just find her use questionable, but only questionable.  I wouldn't dismiss the idea under the right circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment